Office for Regulatory Innovation and Assistance Logo
Information Center (800) 917-0043 or

Regulatory Handbook -> Transportation Permits

Transportation Permits

  • Access Connection Permit : It is required to have an approved permit prior to constructing an access connection to a state highway.
  • Auto Transportation and Bus Certificate
  • Building Move Permit : This permit allows a carrier a one time movement of a building a distance of less than 5 miles.
  • Canadian Weights for SR 9 Heavy Haul Corridor : This permit allows drivers to haul reducible loads with Canadian weights from the Canadian border to Sumas, Washington. Carriers applying for this permit must be licensed to their maximum in Washington State.
  • Canadian Weights US 97 Heavy Haul Corridor : This permit allows drivers to haul reducible loads with Canadian weights from the Canadian border to Oroville, Washington. Carriers applying for this permit must be licensed to their maximum in Washington State.
  • Cell Tower Permit - Type F Access - Wireless Communication Site Access Permit : It is required to have an approved permit prior to constructing an access connection to a state highway for the purpose of serving a wireless communication site.
  • Charter and Excursion Bus Certificate
  • Commercial Ferry Certificate
  • Common Carrier Permit
  • Double Trailer Monthly or Annual : Double trailer legal length is 61 feet. This permit allows up to 68 feet measured from front of the first trailer or load to the end of the last trailer or load whichever is longer. The load may be divisible or non-divisible.
  • Empty Apple Bins and Hay Bales Permit : The permit allows the hauling of empty apple bins up to 15 feet high. This permit can be used in conjunction with the double trailer permit. These permits are not exempt from restrictions. Oversize signs are required. Routes do not guarantee height clearance.
  • Farm Implement Permit : The permit allows a farmer or farm implement dealer to obtain a permit (per quarter or annual) for implements (any device that directly affects the production of agricultural products) over 16 feet to under 20 feet wide, less than 16 feet high, less than 65,000 pounds, and having a combined length not to exceed 70 feet. The permit requires a letter of approval by Commercial Vehicle Services from the farmer or implement dealer, which allows the permit to be issued for specific counties from any WSDOT permit office. For-hire carriers transporting farm implements do not qualify for this permit type. It is highly recommended that the referenced administrative code be reviewed due to the number of unique aspects to this permit type.
  • Freight Broker Certificate
  • Log Tolerance Permit : The purpose of the permit is to allow the combination to haul short logs and receive a variance from the legal weight chart. Is only valid for 3 axle trucks and 2 axle pole trailer combinations and is for hauling of unprocessed logs only.
  • Manufactured Housing Permit Monthly or Annual : Maximum dimensions allowed: 15 feet wide (14 foot box with 12 inch eaves); 15 feet high; and trailer length of 75 feet including tongue
  • Monthly Annual Fixed Load (3 or 4 axle) : This permit is an overweight permit for a vehicle with a weight that does not change, such as cranes, cement pumping trucks, and well drilling trucks. Fixed loads with 3 axles may be permitted up to 65,000 lbs. and fixed loads with 4 axles may be permitted up to 86,000 lbs. with the appropriate wheelbase and tire size. An axle spacing report is required to issue a fixed load permit.
  • Monthly or Annual Non-Divisible Permit : This permit allows a vehicle to haul a non-divisible load up to 14 feet wide, 15 feet high, and 125 feet in load length.
  • Oversize Overweight Load Permit : This permit is an overweight permit for a vehicle with an oversize and or overweight non-divisible load. To produce the Axle Spacing Report for Overweight Permits use:, or call 360-704-6340 for assistance.
  • Oversize Overweight Super Load Permit : As the title implies, this is a overweight or oversized permit for superloads, loads that exceed 200,000 pounds or exceed 16 feet in height or width. In order to ensure safety to the public, the highways systems and carriers, these permits require application at least 30 days prior to the movement date for overweight superloads and at least 7 days prior for overheight superloads.
  • Sealed Container for SR 509 Heavy Haul Corridor : The special permit allows vehicles to operate in the heavy haul industrial corridor at the Port of Tacoma to carry weight in excess of weight established in RCW 46.44.041. However the excess weight on a single axle (22,000), tandem axle (43,000) or any axle group must not exceed that allowed by RCW 46.44.091 (1) and (2), weight per tire must not exceed 600 pounds per inch weight of tire, and gross vehicle weight must not exceed 105,500 pounds. The Heavy Haul Corridor extends on SR 509 between milepost .25 in the vicinity of East "D" Street and milepost 5.7 in the vicinity of Norpoint Way NE.
  • Single Trailer Permit Monthly or Annual : This permit allows for semi-trailer/divisible loads up to 56 ft. (3 ft. longer then the legal single semi-trailer/load length of 53 ft.), measured from front of trailer or load to the rear of the trailer or load whichever is longer.
  • Taxi (Vehicle for Hire): Any business that transports passengers for a fee must have a For Hire License, including:
    • Taxicabs, which are motor vehicles that transport people for a fee and don’t have a fixed route or fixed starting and ending points.
    • Cabulances that transport riders who are confined to a wheelchair or otherwise physically restricted so they can’t be safely transported by public mass transportation, taxicabs, or automobiles.
    • Any other vehicles used for transporting passengers for payment.
  • Temporary Additional Tonnage : The permit is used to temporarily increase the licensed weight of a vehicle, but not more than legal capacity. Before purchasing temporary addition tonnage the vehicle must be licensed to at least 40,000 pounds for solo units and 80,000 pounds for combinations. A Temporary License Permit (Trip Permit) may be used to increase licensed weight to the required 40,000 or 80,000 pounds to qualify for the temporary Additional Tonnage Permit (additional tonnage may not be sold for periods greater than the period covered by the Trip Permits). Minimum permit duration 5 days.
  • Temporary Fuel Use Permit : If you don't pay fuel tax under the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) and need to travel in Washington and are driving a diesel or propane powered commercial vehicle with; 2 axles and a gross vehicle weight (GVW) over 26,000 lbs., 3 or more axles regardless of weight, or a combination of vehicles with a combined GVW over 26,000, you must purchase a Special Fuel Permit to allow operation of your vehicle in Washington.
  • Temporary License Permit : Temporary License Permits (also known as Trip Permits) allow vehicle owners to operate their unlicensed vehicles on public roadways. A vehicle is considered unlicensed if: the vehicle tabs are expired or the current gross weight isn't enough for the load being carried. These permits cannot be used in lieu of tonnage for a vehicle currently licensed in Washington but can be used to increase current tonnage. Permits are valid 3 consecutive days and no more than 3 permits can be issued for any 1 vehicle within a 30-day period.
  • Tow Truck Class B and C : The special permit issued specifically to tow trucks is an annual permit from the date of purchase. The permit is valid for emergent and non-emergent moves. Annual Tow Truck permits may be issued to Class B and Class C tow trucks, including Class E tow trucks with either a Class B or Class C rating. Class A or D tow trucks are not eligible for Annual Tow Truck permits.

© 2017 Governor's Office for Regulatory Innovation and Assistance