Office for Regulatory Innovation and Assistance Logo
Information Center (800) 917-0043 or

Regulatory Handbook -> Air Quality Permits -> Asbestos - Air Quality

Asbestos - Air Quality

(Demolition / Renovation Notification Form)

What is the Purpose of this Notification?
If asbestos abatement or demolition of a structure is to occur, the notification must be postmarked or received at least 10 working days prior to the commencement of abatement or removal activities. The 10 working day notification period starts on the postmark date or when received by Ecology.

Guidance is available on the EPA Region 10 asbestos for professionals web page.

To determine the appropriate air agency select the Local Clean Air Agencies link to see a map showing Washington State's Local Clean Air Agencies. Click on the county where the project is located to identify which local air agency jurisdiction you are located in. A special link for Asbestos information should be on their website. If not, call the general telephone number listed and ask for information on their asbestos notification program.

Businesses regulated by Ecology's Industrial Section (pulp and paper, aluminum, etc) should contact Ecology's headquarters at (360) 407-6812 or their specific regulatory contact.

The rest of this document applies to asbestos notifications in counties where the Department of Ecology (Ecology) is the local air agency. This includes San Juan County and most of eastern Washington except for Benton, Spokane, and Yakima counties.
Who Issues this Notification?
Department of Ecology
What Activities Require this Notification?
You must submit an asbestos demolition/renovation notification form any time you:
  1. Want to demolish any structure, including for the purpose of fire training, or
  2. Remove or abate Regulated Asbestos Containing Material (RACM) in an existing structure with at least 260 linear feet of RACM on pipes, 160 square feet of RACM on other facility components, or 35 cubic feet of RACM off of facility components where length or area could not be measured previously.
Before beginning any work, you must:
  1. Fill out the form.
  2. Have the owner/operator of the structure/facility sign it.
  3. Mail it to the appropriate air quality agency.
Guidance is available on the EPA Region 10 asbestos web page and at the other links listed below.
How Much Will this Notification Cost?
Ecology does not charge a fee for this notification.
Where Can I Get the Application for this Notification?
The application which is called 'Asbestos Demolition / Renovation Notification Form' is online and can be accessed at
Do I Need to Include Anything with my Application?
The form must be signed by the owner/operator of the facility and mailed to the appropriate Ecology office.
Is the Decision on my Notification Dependent on Anything Besides the Information in my Application?
The notification must be postmarked 10 working days before the job's start date to allow Ecology to comment and/or schedule a site visit.

A working day means Monday-Friday and includes holidays that fall on any of the days Monday-Friday.
How Long Will it Take to Review my Application?
There is no review time, only a 10 working day advance notice requirement.
Where do I Submit my Application?
The application submittal locations are listed on the form. Asbestos notifications must be submitted to the appropriate Local Air Agency. If the Ecology Regional Office is acting as the local air agency (as in most of eastern Washington outside of Spokane, Yakima, and Benton County) it is submitted to the Ecology regional office. Ecology's Industrial Section receives notices from their regulated businesses.
How Long is my Notification Valid?
The job must be started and completed within the dates specified in the notice. If job schedules change, a change notice is required to be submitted.
What is the Appeal Process for the Notification?
Since there is no decision, an appeal is not applicable.
Legal Authority:
Statewide Contact:
Department of Ecology
Air Quality Program
300 Desmond Drive
PO Box 47600
Olympia, WA 98504-7600
Telephone: (360) 407-6800
Fax: (360) 407-7534
* Permit information last updated 3/19/2018
© 2019 Governor's Office for Regulatory Innovation and Assistance