Office for Regulatory Innovation and Assistance Logo
Information Center (800) 917-0043 or

Regulatory Handbook -> Food Requirements -> Food Processing Plant License

Food Processing Plant License

What is the Purpose of this License?
To allow the receiving, storage, processing, packaging and distribution of licensed food products.
Who Issues this License?
Washington State Department of Agriculture
What Activities Require this License?
Facilities that handle or process any food in any manner for sale or distribution and consumption by another party. A full list of processes and exceptions is listed at
How Much Will this License Cost?
$92 - $862 (based on gross annual sales).
Where Can I Get the Application for this License?
The application which is called 'Application for Food Processing Plant License' is online and can be accessed at
Do I Need to Include Anything with my Application?
Complete and send the Food Processor's Application along with the following:
  • Sanitation schedule
  • Ingredient/processing information
  • Floor plan
  • Label information
  • Water supply type & testing requirements
  • Check or money order

See application packet:
Is the Decision on my License Dependent on Anything Besides the Information in my Application?
A WSDA Food Safety Officer (FSO) reviews all food handling and storage areas of your facility and inspects the product packaging and labeling. Before leaving the facility, the FSO will leave a copy of the inspection report with you. The inspection report will note any areas that require correction. At that time the inspector will also inform you of your licensing status (approved or denied). All subsequent inspections are unannounced visits and will occur every six to twelve months.
How Long Will it Take to Review my Application?
4-6 weeks.
Where do I Submit my Application?
Department of Agriculture
Food Safety Program
P.O. Box 42591
Olympia, WA 98504-2591
How Long is my License Valid?
Valid for one year.
What is the Appeal Process for the License?
Upon notice by the Department to deny, revoke, or suspend a license, a person may request a hearing under chapter 34.05 RCW, the Administrative Procedures Act.
Where can I get permitting assistance?
Helpdesk phone: (360) 902-1876
Subject matter expert phone: (360) 902-1876
Subject matter expert email:
Statewide Contact:
Washington State Department of Agriculture
Food Safety Program
1111 Washington Street SE
Olympia, WA 98504
Telephone: (360) 902-1876
* Permit information last updated 11/18/2019
© 2021 Governor's Office for Regulatory Innovation and Assistance